Utrecht School of the Arts graduate Ka-Lai Chan has designed a bulging chair representing her suppressed emotions.Parts of the chair are swollen and bulging, while textile elements break through the surface and symbolise her personality revealing itself.The piece is supported by a metal frame and upholstered in stretch PU leather. All other images are by Ka-Lai Chan.
Here’s some text from Ka-Lai Chan:
“Selfportrait’ is a graduation project based on the emotions and suppressed feelings what Ka-Lai Chan has experienced. The chair expresses the designer’s own personality and character.
“In my designs I try to astonish and suprise people. Why is everything as it? And everybody takes it as it is. Everything could be different. Nothing is as it should be. Within my designs I try to create forms and products that are not too obvious. I play and experiment with material and shapes. That’s how unique and creative products are brought to daylight.”
- Bu Yeon Dang by HyoMan Kim-IROJE KHM Architects
- House Of Culture Brilliant Award Winning Design
- Dwelling-workhouse, The Uniqueness of a Modern Home Designed by Hoogte Twee Architecten
- Modern House Design by Gnädinger Architects
- Lavender Lake Competition Winners Announced